Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Owls sweater

 I might be the only person who was glad winter lasted a little longer than it should have. Only because it gave me the chance to wear my new sweater a few times. This pattern is called Owls and is available on the Kate Davies website.
You may recognise the owl cables from some hats I knit for my little girls. They were made so I could practice. I knew this sweater was in my future. I knit it up in Rowan Purelife British Sheep Breeds in Steel Grey Suffolk. The undyed wool smelled like a petting zoo, and made me want a pet sheep! I ended up using six skeins. They came from all over the place. Two from John Lewis, Oxford Street, bought when I was over in England last summer. Once I got home I realise it was the recommended yarn for this project, so I sent my sister to get me three more skeins. She ended up getting them from Liberty of London. She's told me I will love this shop. On my next trip home I will be checking it out! Just as I was starting the ribbing around the neck I ran out of yarn. So I ended up getting the sixth and final skein from Webs. Despite the yarn coming from all over the place, I can't see any difference in the colour.
 I only made one mistake, I put on one of the sleeves back to front. It is hopefully only noticable by me. I couldn't get enough matching buttons to give every owl eyes, so I ended up putting them on every other owl. A friend from knitting group said it looks like half the owls are asleep. I like that idea, so I'll probably leave them that way.
Now I've got to get a little something in the post to my friend in Wales. When she get's it, I'll share it with you.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, what a great job on the sweater Solviej! I love it. I'm sure it took a long time and hard work. Looks really great! Love the owls!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks JoAnn and Helen. I might make another one of these, it was so fun to make.

    ReplyDelete